All images and photos are by Les.
Les McCarter has been a technologist for over 30 years. He thrives on change, and he loves tech. He builds teams that can execute and deliver on complex IT projects. He partners with business units and builds consensus while leading tech forward in large organizations.
Technology enables people to do more, see more and be more; Les excels at leveraging people to make technology happen, and in turn, enrich a broader community of people: users, customers, co-workers, friends, and family.
His broad organizational experience spans from running a successful startup, operating in a Fortune 1000 company, and working his same magic in the public sector at a large Pacific Northwest regional government.
His private sector industry expertise is in the Honolulu Hawaii electrical utility field that covered all aspects of the public utility business: power generation, transmission, distribution, and retail delivery. He worked in a unique market as each of the Hawaiian islands needs their own independent systems due to the geography of the islands. One business unit that was unified across the islands was the technology department, but with the high demands of strong security and uptime reliability made this a demanding IT environment.
His work in the public sector was to bring many of lessons learned in the private sector to modernize the IT environment of regional local government with ITIL and PCI security, while still adapting to the unique needs of local government serving the community with constrained budgets.
Les left Metro in October 2016 to return to his consulting work, focusing on IT Project Management.
McCarter Consulting is a registered business in the State of Oregon and works out of Portland, but is available for travel for concentrated work projects.
- IT consulting “help desk” and “technology inventory” of a company located in eight states using a tech team of two. Putting in place ITIL processes.
- Complete inventory and documentation of processes and technology in a Pacific Northwest medium complex IT environment.
- Five years managing public sector IT infrastructure and operations team
- Nine years managing Fortune 1000 electric utility (Hawaiian Electric Company) IT infrastructure and operations team (20+)
- Ten years growing a small business technology training company from 3 to 30 people
- Three years of private technology consulting
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE 2000, NT4, NT3.5)
- Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
- GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC), SANS Institute
- Master Certified Novell Engineer (MCNE 5.0, 4.0)
- Certified Novell Instructor (CNI)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- A+ and Network +
- Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS)
- Google Verified Street Photographer
- Bachelor of Arts in Modern English Literature from Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois